A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
Cooking has the power to create magic if you do it with love and patience. The art of cooking is not just limited to a traditional kitchen. It’s more like a discipline; hence, it can be a high-flying career option for anybody who loves to cook. Culinary art is an upcoming field that offers tremendous scope for aspiring Masterchefs in India and a lot of options in culinary art are there.
Exploring the Art of Cooking
There are plenty of job opportunities for those who are passionate about cooking and a lot of options in culinary art are available if they want to make their career in culinary art. With basic courses in culinary arts, you can work as a sous chef, pastry chef, head chef, prep cook, food stylist, catering supervisor, catering officer, and so on.
A plethora of courses in culinary arts, catering technology, food processing, and other areas are being offered by many institutions to cater to the requirements of the field. Before you enter the profession, you should know in detail about the various courses. Let’s take a look.
Certificate Course Options in Culinary Art
There are few relevant certificate courses offered by various institutes. Though a certificate isn’t as well-recognized as a degree or diploma, it can be a starting point to hone your culinary skills. When it comes to certificate courses, the duration is generally 6 months to 1 year. SSC and HSC-qualified students can apply for the courses below.
- Craftsmanship Course in Food Production & Patisserie (1year)
- Craft Certification Course in Food Production (1 and ½ year)
- Craftsmanship Course in Cookery (1 and ½ year)
- Voc. in Culinary Operations (3 years)
- Certificate in Bakery and Confectionery (3 years)
Diploma Courses in Culinary Art
Diploma courses in culinary arts help acquire skills for entry-level employment in the field. They can be completed in less than one year and can give you a wholesome culinary experience.
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Service (34 weeks)
- Diploma in Bakery & Confectionery (34 weeks)
- Diploma in Bakery and Patisserie (1 year)
- Advance Diploma in Culinary Arts (2 years)
- Diploma in Bakery and Patisserie Arts Level (2-3 years)
- Diploma in Food Production (24-34 weeks)
- Diploma in Culinary Arts of Italian Cuisine (1 year)
Degree Courses in Culinary Art
Degree courses in culinary art help you learn both culinary skills and hospitality management. Apart from making the dishes themselves, students are taught the essentials of management and leadership in the kitchen including nutrition, food handling, etc. Students who enroll for degree courses are prepared for leadership roles in the food service industry as the course covers a wide range of topics such as food science, food safety, seafood preparation, wine, and beverages service, baking, and pastry arts, etc.
Here is a list of degree courses in culinary art
- Bachelor’s Degree in Catering Technology & Culinary Arts (3 years)
- BA. in Culinary Arts (3 years)
- Bachelor of Catering Technology and Culinary Arts (4 years)
- BHM Culinary Arts (3-4 years)
- BA. in Culinary Arts (3 years)
- BSc. in Culinary Arts with Specialization in Bakery & Pastry Art Management (3 years)
- BA. in International Culinary Arts (3 years)
- BSc. in Culinary Science
Post-Graduate Diploma in Culinary Arts
Graduate and post graduate courses in Culinary Arts prepare candidates for a career as a chef in prominent hotels and restaurants across the world. Post-graduate diplomas in Culinary Arts can be a better option for any aspirant who intends to pursue cooking as a career and aims to get professional training in the art of food preparation. These courses are mostly taken up by candidates who have completed graduation in hotel management and culinary arts. Some courses include:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Culinary Arts (2 years)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dietetics & Hospital Food Service (1 year)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery Science and Technology (1 year)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bakery and Confectionery(1&1/2 years)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Culinary Arts (1 year)
- MA Indian Cuisine and Food Culture (2 years)
Online Culinary Courses in India
Virtual classrooms in culinary arts focus mainly on the art of preparing and presenting food. These courses generally cover concepts like nutrition, sanitation, safety, catering management, and commercial kitchen equipment. Online courses are more about food management than the actual cooking process. Here are some exciting online courses you can check out.
- Courses in Catering and Cooking (Culinary Course) (20-24 weeks)
- Business Course in Baking Cupcakes and Cakes (14 weeks)
Becoming a chef may not be everyone’s cup of tea. One should possess excellent cooking skills, patience, and a love for experimentation to grow as a master chef. Culinary arts aspirants have a lot of scope and diverse job opportunities at various places such as high profile hotels, big restaurants, clubs, bars, bakeries, and catering firms. They can even start their own restaurants and cafes if they wish. So if you are crazy about food and want to give people food coma, put on your aprons and get ready, the field of culinary arts awaits you!